Friday, May 6, 2011

The Simple Things

So I started this post almost two weeks ago. I'm hardly finding the time to sit and add some words to the pictures. With the sun finally shining and earth turning green around me, I see a tonne of work staring me in the face each morning. Life in my home seems soo busy and tiring these days. I felt like I was getting some oomph back until Jake decided last week to routinely wake up at two in the morning. He will not go back to sleep unless I feed him. Then some nights he's up again at five to let some gas go and usually I can rock him back to sleep. Needless to say, what I was aiming for in my last post about starting my day earlier, is NOT happening. I'm still trying to sleep in as long as my kids will let me. I guess as long as I'm nursing I'll be needing some extra rest.
Jake is almost four and half months already, and is such a lively, roly poly little gaffer. He just loves his rice cereal and the chub on his legs is just getting chubbier. For the most part he is in a pretty good schedule with napping but evenings are still hard to get him down often due to gas. I'm considering taking his soother away but not sure if I should cause it's a 'sanity saver' many times. He loves is sister and follows her with his eyes when ever she's near. His limbs get all stiff and he shows his big dimply smile when she coos at him. Love him to pieces even when I'm so exhausted and frustrated at times. It just takes one those smiles to melt away some of that mommy madness.
My birthday was on April 29 and now I'm a quarter of a century old. The highlight of the day: the first flowers and card I've received from Wayne since I turned nineteen, the first spring we dated. Twenty five roses of assorted beautiful colors that didn't last nearly long enough. Later I thought 'hmm the wheelbarrow I wanted would've lasted a lot longer, (practical me)', but I am a gal who loves to stop and smell the roses.
Hanna, what can I say about the vivacious,giggly, sing songy, talking with ear piercing volumes, to big for her britches little girl. She can drive me bananas and make me want to hug her silly at the same time. She's got a song in her head at all times and these days is singing quite the rendition of Amazing Grace in her mixed up way. She's busy again outside with those chickens and they've taken to running after her around the yard. Her most popular lines these days are 'me first','I can do it myself', and 'mommy, No!' Definitely have our work cut out for us to steer her strong will in the right direction. My most heartwarming moment of the day is when I hear her pitter patter feet coming down the hall in the morning. She's dragging her blanket, sleepy eyed and with shy smile says Good Morning and heads for my lap.
Aside from kids and calls of life I've been spending time in these two books. 'calm my anxious heart' is our ladies bible study book. We've done seven weeks and I feel as though I've had seven weeks of convicting thoughts and struggles to overcome as we strive to become women of contentment in our roles as children of God, wives, mothers, friends and with who we are as a woman. It's a book that points straight to the heart. During this study I found a book on amazon that caught my attention, called 'Organized Simplicity'. In so many ways it parallels the other book, stressing that living the simple life is living in contentment with what you have, living with what you have(less) and using your time wisely leaves more time for what truly is important and learning to be good stewards of God creation. Both books imply the use of a life purpose statement to sum up the way we want to live. I was driving one night (my hubby sent me off so that I could get some time alone) and a quote popped into my head and it was the start of my family life purpose statement.
It is our desire to live simply, and simply live... I still intend to add more to it, Wayne thought it was definitely fitting for us. I guess through all of this I want to run a more efficient home, that at the end of the day we feel peace, contentment and just savor the life that we've been blessed with. To take more time cultivating relationships rather being bound by the things we have.
"The simplest things are often the truest" -R Bach
"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." -R Bault
" Live life then with a due sense of responsibility, not as those who do not know the meaning of life but as those who do. Make the best use of your time, despite all the evils of these days. Don't be vague but grasp firmly what you know to be the will of the Lord" Ephesians 5:15-17

It's hard to live each day with purpose, I know I've wasted much time in pitiful ways. The beauty of it is though that it's not too late to make a change. So lately,in our home, we've been filling some garage sale boxes, communicating better, taking more time to enjoy the kids and others. I'm working on a more positive attitude and thinking each day about what we can do to enjoy the simple life. simply live.
Christina











1 comment:

  1. Jack has grown & is so cute. That smile could melt my heart on a bad day. Hanna & those chickens. I remember photos you posted of her & the chickens before. She sure is a sweet little girl. I got six chickens a while back & a coop for them. They follow me around. There fun. All have names. They were for eggs & meat but after they got names & got so tame I think there more like pets. So eggs it will be. It was so good to hear from you. Wishing you a late Happy Birthday! Blessings!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete